Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hannah Hopkin

Well, summarizing 10 years renders me almost speechless... Some would call that miraculous, others would call it ridiculous. Having said that, I will attempt to summarize 10 years in 3 paragraphs and then invite you to my blog to catch up on the little splashes of joy. I spent my first year out of MHS studying too much, playing too little, and trying to be perfect. Obviously it was not very fun. However, I had the chance to dance with the Folk Dance Team and tour Quebec and the New England States which was fun. I withdrew from school for year two at Brigham Young University-Idaho to try and remember who I was and to develop a healthy relationship with food again. Some may say their mission was the best/hardest 2 years of their lives. I would say those 4 months was a mission for me. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Since developing that healthier and happier perspective of life, I spent a summer in El Salvador with HELP-International and decided when I have children, I want a farm of boys so I can play soccer with them every day! Not only did I improve my Spanish but I realized that my self diagnosis of Seasonal Affective Disorder may not have been off kilter! I LOVED the sunshine! In efforts to blaze through school and make sun a more frequent part of my life, I went to school year round from 2004-2006, graduated with a Bachelor's in University Studies (meaning I still didn't know what I wanted to do with my life) with a minor in Spanish and Sociology, and a cluster in French... As a graduation present to myself, and to avoid joining the "real world" with my "fake degree" I moved to Chile where I studied more Spanish, traveled, and taught English to the International Chilean Police. I spent a summer selling security systems in Louisville, KY and got back in touch with a lot of my Madison friends. Shout out to Jameson Hayes, Jared Wall, and some of the class of 2002! Madison Jr High hired me for a year as an ESL teacher and I supplemented the income by coaching voice at BYU-Idaho.

September of 2008 sent me to Florida. I had no idea I would stay there past 1 year! I lived the charmed life of visiting Disney World on at least a monthly basis, going to the beach, and eating out for the first year in Orlando. Then reality hit and I began grad school at the University of Central Florida (UCF-- aka U Can't Finish). Foreboding though it seemed, I managed to carry a heavier than normal load and still graduate with my MSW (Masters in Social Work) this May. I know I couldn't have done it alone. Thank you to support from my family, blessings from above, and constant prayers/visits to the temple, I made it! The real job is coming! Despite my desire to stay in Florida, I felt like it was best to come to the land of the dry and cold. I just moved to Salt Lake City and am still looking for the miracle job. Hopefully I will have that ironed out when I return from England in 3 weeks.

(hanbananhopkin.blogspot.com







No comments: